Friday, May 13, 2011

Review: Ink Illusions


Ink IllusionsInk Illusions by Val Kovalin

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This was a great read. The story touched many difficult topics, handling all of them with sensitivity and respect. The pairing of a Norse Pagean with a Jew is fascinating and unusual. I loved the hints at Travis's religion and Tony's backstory which never turned into infodump but were worked seamlessly into the narrative flow. Characterization is one of this author's fortes, and thus I wasn't surprised that both Travis and Tony were likeable, realistic persons, down to Travis's anger issues. If anything, Tony was almost too good to be real, though saved by his inner insecurities and the moments he lost control.
I loved Rosemary and Belinda, and I particularly loved the way the author used a child's worldview to get her message of tolerance across without hammering anything in. A wonderful, heartwarming read, backed by wide knowledge, with an intelligent plot and a flowing narrative voice. And it doesn't hurt that it contains some seriously hot eroticism.
Highly recommended.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment